RE: EVEN YET MORE Problem building openldap

This is the standard method of getting configure going. You're expected to
know to do this, since it's in the INSTALL document. Yes, you're expected to
actually read the documentation.

> Second option: fix configure script.

The configure script isn't broken, although your build environment may well
be. If your libsasl2 is a shared library, then it should already have its own
dependencies on libcrypto and pull it in automatically. If it's not a shared
library, then you have to explicitly add the dependencies as above. Generally
these dependent libraries (libsasl2, libssl, libgssapi) are built as shared
libraries on most supported platforms. However, in the case of Cyrus SASL,
their bundled libtool script is extremely old and useless, and typically
fails to produce shared objects because it doesn't handle inter-library
dependencies. You're better off using the libtool script that the OpenLDAP
build generates to build SASL. (I.e., libtool 1.4.3 vs libtool 1.3.5 that
Cyrus bundles.) There is definitely a fault here, but it's in the Cyrus SASL
distribution.

  -- Howard Chu