Re: bdb_index_read: failed (-30990)

søn, 04.01.2004 kl. 16.30 skrev Ace Suares:

> My own research shows that it's not needed - without that attribute indexed,
> the software runs fine on my SuSE box but not on my Debian box.
>
> > > Is it really necessary to index a two-value attribute ?
> >
> > Definitely.
>
> So, not so definetely.

We're probably talking about two different things. My "definitely" was
based on what's been written on the list about looking up large
databases with and without indices

> > > Why is the problem intermittent ?
> >
> > You wrote that the problem only occurs on Debian. It could be anything -
> > compiler, glibc, clib, other libraries. There's an enormous difference
> > between RH distros, even, for the above reasons.
>
> So, I am now at the point where I believe the problem can only be traced down
> to differences in SuSE 8.2 and Debian Woody. But how to find out what the
> problem is ? I tried OL 2.1.25 and 2.2.4, And with 2.1.25 I tried bdb 4.2.52,
> ldbm/dbd, and ldbm/gdbm. All the same results. 2.2.4 is compiled with 4.2.52.

I have a different approach to Linux. I've stuck to one Linux vendor up
to now, from 1999, and try to find out as much as possible, as deep as
possible, about its inner workings. RedHat's recent commercial
about-turn gave (still does) me a nasty feeling about letting people
down, but I'd had RHEL 3 pushed onto me by then - and RHEL 3 things work
(even "much") better than in previous versions, which also (mostly)
worked. If they didn't, I got original source from GNU and Source Forge
and kernel.org etc. and compiled it, then they worked. I was running gcc
3.0 and 3.3 on my RH 7.2 box (RHEL 3 is "stable" gcc 3.2) and there were
almost no important libs or GNU stuff (and much more) I hadn't compiled
from source and updated.

But that's not why one chooses Debian Woody, is it? From what I've read,
all hell breaks loose if you try that sort of thing.

> How to find out if it's glibc ? Or the compiler ?
> The logs don't tell me anythinjg that I can relate to.

There won't be anything in any logs. All you can do is straces and gdb
stack-traces on core dumps (figure out from lsof, ps and that sort of
thing) etc. In a literal translation from the Dutch: "on a given moment
holds it up" ;) Debian would tell you to stick to what you're offered
and be thankful. Unless some kind maintainer takes a shine to you.

--Tonni

--
mail: billy - at - billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl