Re: postalAddress and line separators

Brandon Hume - OpenLDAP list wrote:

I'm populating a list of departments in LDAP, including the postalAddress
field. Clients like Outlook and Eudora show the '$'s used to separate 'lines', which the testing people seem to object to.

The syntax used is

http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.41.html

It's been suggested I use embedded \r\n instead of $ to separate the
lines.  Now, to me, this feels wrong.

Yes, it's wrong.

However, trying it, it seems to work alright.

It might work in some LDAP clients though.

What problems can I expect doing this?

Interoperability problems. You have to test your proprietary data with *all* possible LDAP clients. Since this is practically impossible it's good to stick to the standard.

Ciao, Michael.