Re: userPassword not SINGLE-VALUE ?

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Ace Suares wrote:

>  - where is attibutetype userPassword defined ?

It is defined in core.schema.  If it is commented
out in your installation, you should not have been
able to add any values for it.

>From RFC2256 Section 5.36:

5.36. userPassword

    ( 2.5.4.35 NAME 'userPassword' EQUALITY octetStringMatch
      SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.40{128} )

RFC2256: A Summary of the X.500(96) User Schema for use with LDAPv3
http://mirror.cryptnet.net/rfcs/rfc2256.txt

>  - is attribute userPassword meant to be Multivalued ?

Yes, userPassword is meant to be Multivalued.  This is useful
if you're working with legacy systems and attempting to a
migration of a service such as unix user authentication in
which some systems may be able to support a more secure
password format such as MD5 hash over traditional unix
crypt.

> - if so, how does an application (qmail, proftpd, whatever)
>   determine which userPassword to use ? Will it always use
>   'the first' ?

It can be application dependent depending on how the author
of the application decided to implement the authentication.
However, the author should have written code that would have
tried each value of userPassword in order to match the
standardized authentication of the LDAP Server itself.

>From RFC2829 Section 6.2:

  "The server will, for each value of the userPassword
   attribute in the named user's entry, compare these for
   case-sensitive equality with the client's presented
   password.  If there is a match, then the server will
   respond with resultCode success, otherwise the server
   will respond with resultCode invalidCredentials."

RFC2829:  Authentication Methods for LDAP
http://mirror.cryptnet.net/rfcs/rfc2829.txt

In my opinion, if you come across an application that does
not try each value of userPassword a bug should be reported
to the author and a patch submitted.

      - VAB
--
V. Alex Brennen          <vab@cryptnet.net>