Re: can't contact ldap server (81), please help

--On Friday, May 30, 2003 3:27 PM -0700 "Fatemi, Afsheen" <afatemi@oid.ucla.edu> wrote:

Hi,

I have just installed openldap 2.1.17 on my RedHat 9.0 Linux box along
with other prerequisites like BDB 4.1.25 and Openssl. The configure
finally was successful. I am following your "A Quick-Start Guide" in your
Administrator's Guide. When I get to the point to run the "make test", I
get the following error:

ldap-bind: Can't contact LDAP server (81)
Test Failed.

Even when I want to start the server by running the command :

        /usr/local/libexec/slapd, nothing happens and the "ps -ef | grep
slapd" doesn't show anything indicating the daemon hasn't started from
the start.

The "ldapsearch" command generates the above error message as well.

Would you have any suggestions as to where I should start looking first,
please?

Try /usr/local/libexec/slapd -d 5

That should give you some debug output. Read the slapd man page to find out what the different debugging levels will tell you.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Senior Systems Administrator