From: Tony Richardson [mailto:Tony.Richardson@radiology.ucsf.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 7:26 PM
To: Frank Kicenko
Subject: Re: ./configure problems

Hi Frank,

I had a heck of a time with the the backend declarations myself.  I
don't remember everything exactly, but I've built on MacOSX and Linux
successfully.  The berkeley sleepycat backend is the default backend and
shouldn't require specing - but if you're going to enable anything it
probably should be --enable-bdb (default).   Try ./configure --help for
args.  The main problems I ran into related to Berkeley include file
availability. Either of the following, along with your LDFLAGS, will
likely work:

     CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/Berkeley/include" or
    --bdb-includes=/usr/local/Berkeley/include

The backwards solution I construed:
    pushd  /usr/local/Berkeley/include/  &&  for a in *.h; do ln -s
/usr/local/include/$a /usr/local/include/$a ; done; popd

The other problem I encountered was dated db.h in /usr/include linked to
db3 headers (Linux - slackware).  It took precidence of the correct
/usr/local/Berkeley/include/db.h when passed to gcc.

Anyhow, much to my dismay I was able to build a "funct" Berkeley version
using the --enable-ldbm on the MAC.  It supported adds and searches but
no indexing, no logs, and basically no optimization or frills.

So far, the best way I've found to deal with configure failures is by
reviewing the conf.log file.  It's in the same directory with
configure.  I locate and try to hand build the points of failure without
redirection and extra gcc args like -Wall --verbose etc...

good luck

--
Anthony Richardson
Neuroradiology, Rm L-358, UCSF

Telephone:  415-353-1639
Fax:  415-353-8593
uri:  http://www.neurorad.ucsf.edu

**CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE**  This e-mail communication and any
attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the
use of the designated recipients named above.  Distribution,
reproduction, or any other use of this transmission by any party other
than the intended recipient is prohibited.