RE: faked transactions

Yes, the admin updates the data servers directly. The admin must also modify
the referral object after completing a transaction, to make the modifications
visible to the clients.

> This configurations seems ok, but I have a question: If a
> client is making
> a long search in data2 (via the back-ldap server), and in the middle
> of that search you change the referral to point data1, what
> happens with
> that long search? continues on data2 and returns valid data?

Yes. The referral is only read once, at the very beginning of the operation.
After back-ldap processes the referral, it gets pointed to (e.g.) data2 and
then the entire operation executes there, regardless of what else happens to
the referral.

One more point to note - if a long search is in progress while the admin
toggles the servers, the admin must wait for the searches to complete before
beginning any new modifications. Otherwise the new mods could distort the
client's search results.

  -- Howard Chu