RE: API Programming questions

-----Original Message-----
From: Ugen [mailto:ugen@xonix.com]

Last time I checked SASL auth worked fine... What problems did you have, and
did you file a bug report?
<<<<

1) I am using 2.0.27 over here.

<RANT> It seems that noone is too keen on fixing anything in it,
since its' a "legacy" codebase.For example, I reported on the list
a bug where database disk synch was always on, thus severely
reducing performance of delete/modify operations.
Got nothing  in response, even though i had a patch attached.

So to be honest between that and being extremely busy in my work
i just don't have time to file reports. My current project revolves heavily
around OpenLDAP and i simply fix bugs and improve things as i find them.

 I'd love to "give back to community" but only if community would be
receptive :) </RANT>
<<<
Posts to "the list" tend to get lost. Bug reports and patches have to be
submitted to the ITS so that we can keep track of them.

2) SASL is broken. When i say "SASL" i mean cyrus-sasl-1.5.28.
 There may be a newer better version i am not aware of.

 It is broken internally without any relation to OpenLDAP.
<<<
Yes... I run into these problems all the time as well. I've submitted a
number of fixes for SASL 1.5.28, none of which will ever be released because
Cyrus SASL 1.5 is a dead code base. Some of them have actually made it into
the Cyrus CVS though.

The current Cyrus SASL is 2.1.13, but Cyrus SASL 2.1 is not supported in
OpenLDAP 2.0; you need to upgrade to OpenLDAP 2.1...

 The only time i'd find SASL useful is to do GSSAPI auth against
ActiveDirectory
but since nobody on this list knows how to do that - i just turned SASL off
and
been happy ever since. If/when i get time i may revisit this if anyone is
interested.
<<<
Works fine for me...

  -- Howard Chu