Re: API Programming questions

I can answer questions 1 and 2, I'll leave 3 (authentication) to someone
else.

Jody Hagins writes:
> 1. I have spent two days reading tons of googled links about LDAP.
> However, I have yet to find a good resource for learning how to write
> OpenLDAP client software.  Where can I find such information?

OpenLDAP/doc/drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-xx.txt

I'm not sure if OpenLDAP follows the draft exactly, but it's pretty
close.

> 2. Most of my applications are reactive, so I want to use the
> asynchronous interfaces.  However, I can not see how to tie that into
> something like a select() based application.  Specifically, I do not see
> a way to know when a reply is available.  For example, if the API
> exposed a file descriptor, (...)

It's not documented, but
    int fd;
    ldap_get_option(ld, LDAP_OPT_DESC, &fd);
reads the file descriptor.

> 4. I have spent two days reading tons of googled links about LDAP.
> However, I have yet to find a good resource for learning how to write
> OpenLDAP client software.  Where can I find such information?

Um... that was question 1.

--
Hallvard