question about openldap as a server

hello all! I've currently setup openldap in my linux machine. the thing is I want other boxes such as solaris, hp, aix ,etc to use the entries (i.e. username and password) in my openldap in the linux machine. is it possible to set this up if these machines don't have openldap installed. I've been reading about openldap and so far it seems to me that it assumes that the server and client is on the same machine. ie. using openldap and ldapclient for solaris. what i would like to do is to just  connect to the openldap in linux. is there a configuration file for this? I couldn't seem to find it on the web? help!! thanks!

melissa