altServer attribute for OpenLDAP

Folks,

I am interested in extracting the altServer attribute defined in RFC2252 for storing LDAP server replicas.

5.2.2. altServer

   The values of this attribute are URLs of other servers which may be
   contacted when this server becomes unavailable.  If the server does
   not know of any other servers which could be used this attribute will
   be absent. Clients may cache this information in case their preferred
   LDAP server later becomes unavailable.

    ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.101.120.6 NAME 'altServer'
     SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26 USAGE dSAOperation )

Placing a replica list in the master server is not a problem.

However, does anyone know how the replicated servers themselves would get the replica list from the master server?

The impression we have is that the replica only knows itself and the master.

Thanks.

-Ken