Do large searches block updates under the ldbm backend?

When I do a search at the root tree for objectclass=*, updates are
blocked from occuring until the search completes.  Adds and searches
still work fine but undating a record blocks until the root tree search
finishes.

I'm using LDBM on 2.1.17, and I tried the 2.0.27 and they both exhibited
the same results.

The BDB backend didn't seem to have the same the same problem but .17
had problems keeping consistant data but that's another email for
another time.

Kyle Stone
kstone@corp.halfpricehosting.com