Are my ACLs messed up or is gq?

Problem: I can't get gq-0.6.0 to give my root user global write access.
I've tweaked with just about every setting I could find and nodice and so the question remains. Is this a bad version of gq or are my ACLs somehow messed up? I think there might be something wrong with them and I am just not seeing it. I can add a group with no trouble using smbldaptools but an attempt at deleteing it using the same tools gives me a generic error. Tried ldapdelete and couldn't get that to work... probably just couldn't figure out all the parameters and stuff. Finally wound up using directory_administrator and that worked OK. Anyway, the only kind of thing I can think of that would cause both smbldaptools to return an error and cause gq to not provide access is an ACL.

Your thoughts?

# This is a good place to put slapd access-control directives

access to dn=".*,dc=microverse,dc=net" attr=userPassword,lmPassword,ntPassword
by dn="cn=root,dc=microverse,dc=net" write
by dn="cn=proxyuser,dc=microverse,dc=net" read
by self write
by * auth

access to dn=".*,dc=microverse,dc=net" attr=mail
       by dn="cn=root,dc=microverse,dc=net" write
       by self write
       by * read

access to dn=".*,ou=People,dc=microverse,dc=net"
       by * read