Re: 2.1.17 performance issues

--On Wednesday, April 16, 2003 1:34 PM -0500 John Madden <jmadden@ivytech.edu> wrote:

- number of entries in the directory

~5400

- indexes being used

index objectClass eq index uid pres,eq index uidNumber pres,eq index campus pres,eq index mailacceptinggeneralid pres,eq index maildrop pres,eq index ctCalXitemId pres,eq

- cpu/ram

It's varied since we've been flopping back and forth on machines, but the target machine is a dual Sparc II/400 with 1GB of RAM, Solaris 8.

- performance (btw, how does one measure this?)

All queries start to get very slow and are eventually timed out. Last night, I saw slapd get so bogged down that it wouldn't even completely respond to -INT (it'd refuse new connections but was never able to complete its other transactions, as far as I could tell). I also have a script that runs the same filter 1000 times and spits back the number of queries per second, and with that script, I was able to see the performance drop from ~170 to ~8 queries/sec.

And this is all running with "cachesize 10000000," although we don't have
enough entries to fill that large a cache anyway, on top of the default
bdb install.

John,

As per one of my previous emails, the cachesize directive in slapd.conf has no bearing on BDB.

Instead, one uses the DB_CONFIG file in the database directory.

See comments below:

Again, I disagree.  In both the cases discussed here, I would say that
the  problems are most likely from configuration issues rather than
problems  with OpenLDAP performance.

Care to provide us with some tuning documentation?

I believe that the default configuration should perform well and continue
to perform well over time.  Right now, 2.1.x seems to perform well to
start but then degrades and never recovers, even after a restart.  If it's
a configuration issue, I'd certainly like to see what was done to avoid
it.

For now, 2.0.27 on ldbm/GDBM is blazingly-fast.
--On Wednesday, April 16, 2003 11:18 AM -0500 John Madden
Again, I disagree.  In both the cases discussed here, I would say that
the  problems are most likely from configuration issues rather than
problems  with OpenLDAP performance.

Care to provide us with some tuning documentation?

I believe that the default configuration should perform well and continue
to perform well over time.  Right now, 2.1.x seems to perform well to
start but then degrades and never recovers, even after a restart.  If it's
a configuration issue, I'd certainly like to see what was done to avoid
it.

For now, 2.0.27 on ldbm/GDBM is blazingly-fast.

There is also some performance tuning documentation online at the OpenLDAP website for BDB.

Our configuration consists of:

cat /db/DB_CONFIG
set_cachesize 1 0 1
set_lg_regionmax 262144
set_lg_bsize 2097152
set_lg_dir /var/log/bdb
#Just use this setting when doing slapadd...
#set_flags DB_TXN_NOSYNC

This sets the cachesize to 1 GB with 0 additional KB with only 1 cache.

If you have less than 1 GB memory, then you need to do something like

set_lg_cachesize 0 (your cache size in MB * 1024 * 1024) 1

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Senior Systems Administrator ITSS/TSS/Computing Systems Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html