Big pressure search problem

Hello,

I'm testing openldap 2.1.16 on my Itanium2 box with RH Linux, Microsoft ESP is used to produce client access of "ldapsearch" command. When the transaction reaches around 1000 searches per second, there will be error message: " Can't connect to LDAP server" for part of the request.
I've heard that OpenLDAP is using "select() call" to query the incoming request, is this error caused by the limitation of "select()" call? Is there any work around to improve the performance?

Thanks in advance

zhibo