Re: Address books

hi,

It's not too complicated, but seems that way at first. Once you get
the hang of it it's not so bad. Also get ldapbrowser, it is a Java
base graphical browsing (and modifying) tool that helps.

Add a top level entry:
dn: ou=Contacts, ou=People, dc=yourdomain, dc=com
ou: Contacts
ou: People
objectclass: organizationalUnit
objectclass: domainRelatedObject
associatedDomain: yourdomain.com

Add a person:
dn: uid=jason@yourdomain.com, ou=Contacts, ou=People, dc=yourdomain, dc=com
mail: jason@yourdomain.com
cn: Jason X. Yyyyyy
uid: jason@yourdomain.com
o: Jason Corporation Inc.
comment: This is a note about jason
postalAddress: 1234 Jason St
l: Jasonvill
st: BC
postalCode: V2V 5X5
c: Canada
telephoneNumber: 555 555-1224
facsimileTelephoneNumber: 555 555-5555
mobile: 555 444-4444
givenname: Jason
sn: Yyyyyyy
objectClass: person
objectClass: top
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: officePerson

Now go setup Outlook. The URL Brenda gave you lists all the attributes you
can use for Outlook, and the netscape specific ones.

If you don't have People setup, then add this to the top:
dn: ou=People, dc=yourdomain, dc=com
ou: People
objectclass: organizationalUnit
objectclass: domainRelatedObject
associatedDomain: yourdomain.com

The People and Contacts can be in one ldif, put the person in a 2nd ldif.
You must setup People before Contacts.

In outlook you would set the search domain to dc=yourdomain, dc=com.
Outlook will search the whole database like it or not. You must modify
the registry if you do not want this.

j.

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 11:06:00PM +0000, Kelv wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Ok, first the system details..
>
> Platform - Solaris 8 on Sun E450
> Software - OpenLDAP 2.1.12
> Extras   - with Berkeley DB 4 and OpenSSL.
>
> I am trying to create an address book that workstations on the LAN can
> access via either Mozilla or Outlook / Outlook Express. I am completely
> new to LDAP and am struggling.
>
> I managed to install and run slapd exactly as per the quick install
> instructions. The ldapadd and ldapsearch examples worked as they were
> supposed to.
>
> That was yesterday morning. Since then I have looked through hundreds of
> pages of text on the openldap web site, usenet postings and other web
> pages. Unfortunately I am no further in my quest and feeling totally
> demoralised :(
>
> Is there anywhere online that provides a simple and explicit list of
> instructions / commands to set up whatever schema / etc is necessary for
> an LDAP newbie like me to achieve the above? I have seen dozens of list /
> usenet postings asking how to do this, and a mixture of RTFM & high level
> (read no use at all)  replies.
>
> Help much appreciated!
>
> Kelv :(

..... Jason C. Leach