LDAP URL Question; newbie.... please respond

Hi All,
I'm a newbie to LDAP (and to some extent, Linux too),
just now trying to learn the ropes of OpenLDAP.

So far, I've successfully setup a simple directory for
testing and learning, using OpenLDAP.  I got slapd
running on port 389, added and retrieved a few entries
using ldapadd and ldapsearch.

I'm hitting the wall though, when I try to retrieve my
entries using LDAP URL.  I've tried many things in the
past few days, but can't get Netscape Communicator to
display my entries.  Among other things, I've tried
the following URLs:

ldap://localhost/o=mydomain.com??sub?
ldap://localhost:389/o=mydomain.com??sub?
ldap://localhost.localdomain:389/o=mydomain.com??sub?

[The following ldapsearch command worked, retrieving 6
entries (everything I had in the directory):
  ldapsearch -x -b "o=mydomain.com" ]

Would someone please suggest some ideas as to why
Netscape fails to retrieve my entries?

I've pored over the web and books I have, to see if I
need any additional setup to be able to retrieve
entries using URLs, but haven't found anything yet.

Versions I'm using:
Linux Mandrake 8.0
Kernel Version 2.4.3
Openldap-2.0.7
Netscape Communicator 4.77
Konqueror 2.1.1

I sincerely hope that someone on this forum can point
me in the right direction on this one.

Begging a response,
Chi