Re: OpenLDAP, user authentication from Windows based client

Pravin Joshi wrote:
> Dear Jim,
> My requirement is similar. I have OpenLDAP under SunOS and I wish to
> authenticate the user from windows based client. I tried to download
> mozilla. I couldn't do it. :(
>
> Could you please tell me what method did you adopt? steps please. Thanks.
>
> Regards
> Pravin Joshi

It is still in the works I'm afraid. Previously I used a combination of pGINA and instructions from an article on mandrake-secure:

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/ldap-auth.php

Problem there was that the plugin for pGINA is designed for samba.schema and the article describes setting up nis.schema. The end result is that the groups are not retrieved by the plugin which basically means that only Guest access is possible. Frankly I never understood why anyone would want to use pGINA if they were just going to use samba anyway. I mean, wouldn't it be just as easy (or perhaps easier) to use the winbind daemon that comes with Samba instead of pGINA?

It might be OK to use samba.schema but there are no good/up-to-date instructions that I know of for setting up the db and I still need to authenticate my Linux clients. The idea of having a different db for each type of client also seems wasteful and unnecessarily complex.