openldap woes - Redhat 8.

Hi all.

I have a server at home (all stock 8.0 - full install), which I set up a
quick and dirty ldap server on, and everything worked well!  Very simple
setup - I just used localhost, no security whatsoever (I'm firewalled
and nat'd and stuff, and localhost's security is otherwise tight).  Just
wanted to see if it worked, and it did!  Worked like a charm!

I came to work, logged into another 8.0 box, downloaded the redhat
openldap rpmz that were distributed with 8.0 and installed them, copied
over my config files from home, made sure everything looked the same
everywhere, and fired everything up.  An ldapsearch says 'ldap_bind:
can't contact LDAP server'.

I can't ldapadd, either, obviously (but I did it just to check).

I opened a window to my home machine and one on my local machine and the
only difference I could see was that /var/lib/ldap at home had stuff in
it, and the one here at work doesn't.  I'm guessing that's because I
actually did a successful 'ldapadd' at home, so maybe openldap doesn't
create stuff until there's stuff to add to the directory?

Permissions/modes/ownership is the same all over.  /etc/init.d/ldap
start gives me no errors, and there are no errors anywhere in /var/log
(I grep'd the whole directory for 'ldap' and 'slapd'. Nothing).

I compared the /etc/passwd entries for the 'ldap' user, and they're
identical as well.

Is there a way to get Openldap to give me ANY kind of information about
what is going on here?  Any other clues are more than welcome.  I really
don't want to have to use SunONE. :-(

brian.
--

Brian K. Jones