RE: problems adding an entry

Right, "mail" is in the core schema, but it's dependent on a particular objectclass.  In my setup, that seems to be "inetorgperson", which means you'll probably need to add the "cosine" and
"inetorgperson" schemas to your slapd.conf.

YMMV, but this worked for me.  I haven't been able to figure out the schema relationships myself yet.