RE: Multimaster further work

--On Friday, October 25, 2002 5:14 AM -0400 Adam Williams <awilliam@whitemice.org> wrote:

to various web sites that have been running for 9-10 months at a time;
the only reason they restart is for software upgrades. There probably
isn't even 10 minutes of downtime per *year*. And if it fails, it will
assuredly take less than 10 minutes for failover to the spare server
to occur. As such, the spectre of "single point of failure" also isn't
very compelling.
I strongly disagree. Are you telling me OpenLDAP doesn't need to offer
multimaster because anyone should be able to keep his servers 3 nines
up ?ver had to deal with a flooding like we just had in Germany ?
Also, it highly depends on the application and environment whether you
can easily switch to a backup system or not. And given the long history
of index bugs ... no bashing intended, but I'm astonished to hear that
you manage 9 months runtime. *We* had to regularly stop slapd to

9 months of runtime? I don't see that as a problem. Our entire network depends on a 2.0.21 box that was installed in Febuary, it has been restarted once to add more memory. Just chugs along, about four changes an hour (which may be pretty light).

Yeah, I'd call that light. We have about 7 changes a minute @ Stanford on an average day. We are currently running Netscape Directory Server 3.14, and working on moving to OpenLDAP.

First of all, in the current 2.1 code there is the beginnings of support
for a feature we call "soft restart" - this allows you to fire up a new
slapd instance while an old one is still running, with the new one
taking over connections from the old one. When fully implemented, this
will allow reconfiguration/whatever to be done on the fly, without
clients ever seeing even a hiccup. As such, the issue of interrupting
service for software upgrades, database overhauls, etc. will be
eliminated.

This is excellent news.

Very excellent news.

--