Re: dc question

Hi

On Thursday 17 October 2002 16:23, you wrote:
> tir, 2002-10-15 kl. 21:39 skrev Hallvard B Furuseth:
> > > I would postulate that the dc in an objectClass dc has nothing
> > > whatsoever to do with the dc as part of the dn attribute in an rdn.
> > Wrong.  Read the LDAP standard (rfc2251), section 3.2 (Data Model):
> >   (...) Entries have names: one or more attribute values
> >   from the entry form its relative distinguished name (RDN), (...)
> Noted. But what's done can't be undone

Are you sure ?
You can always change the value of the dc attribute or rename the object. !

With dc these are the only possibilities since it is SINGLE-VALUED.
With other naming attributes (i.e. cn) you can add another value
to the attribute.

Maybe renaming will not work with this "specific" DIT setup, since
deleteoldrdn has to be TRUE on a single-valued attribute.
(Maybe you can test it with your setup ,-)

As an old-aged Novell admin, you should have known this.
Novells eDirectory enforces this requirement too.

> > > You want to put: dc: Snoggit instead of dc: blabla, that's o.k. with
> > > Openldap 2.1.5.
> > Yes, as other have said, OpenLDAP does not check this requirement.
> And the day it does, what happens to "People around the World in
> general"s' working DITs?
> Everybody stops updating their Openldap version.

Or they upgrade their DITs to match the requirements of the RFCs !

Yours
Peter

--
Peter Marschall     |   eMail: peter.marschall@mayn.de