Re: Solaris8 user-account lookup question (Summary)

Heya again...

Thanks for the replies I got. A couple of suggestions were made about this:

> Those times seem rather long. Did you have those indices defined when you
imported that data? If not have you run slapindex since then? It sounds like
your objectClass index is empty

Yeh, I removed all the existing database data in the var/openldap-directory
(just sample test data I was using), made the index entries in my cfg file,
started the slapd daemon, and imported my data. It appears that the indicies
have data in them as well...

root@ldapsrv-1:/usr/local/openldap/var/openldap-data# ls -l
total 34768
-rw-------   1 root     other     552960 Sep 17 15:30 cn.dbb
-rw-------   1 root     other    2514944 Sep 17 16:02 dn2id.dbb
-rw-------   1 root     other     581632 Sep 17 15:30 gecos.dbb
-rw-------   1 root     other    11919360 Sep 17 16:02 id2entry.dbb
-rw-------   1 root     other     139264 Sep 17 15:29 loginShell.dbb
-rw-------   1 root     other       8192 Sep 17 16:02 nextid.dbb
-rw-------   1 root     other     253952 Sep 17 16:02 objectClass.dbb
-rw-------   1 root     other     577536 Sep 17 15:30 uid.dbb
-rw-------   1 root     other     585728 Sep 17 15:30 uidNumber.dbb
-rw-------   1 root     other     577536 Sep 17 15:30 userPassword.dbb
root@ldapsrv-1:/usr/local/openldap/var/openldap-data#

Maybe I need to add a indicie for homedir's? The suggestion by Igor did work
though; using `finger -m $login` worked just fine - instantly gave me the
data. Perhaps I'll just have to let everyone know to do that..., or just
create an alias in the the default profile for each account to alias
`finger` to `finger -m`. Is there a good way to tell if I have the correct
indices setup for decent system performance?

Thanks again for ya help :) Gl hf, and have a g'day.

-
Giovanni Navarrette
USLink Internet Systems Administrator
e-Mail -- gio@uslink.net