index data loss issue

This is a strange one and I'm hoping it's just a simple configuration
problem, but I don't even know where to begin looking for solutions.

While the LDAP directory is running, we've added an index on
"mailacceptinggeneralid," Postfix's default email alias attribute, which
appears to work ok after 'slapindex'ing it.  However, after a restart of
slapd, data is no longer returned when filtering on this attribute.  Quite
a serious issue.

This is, as of Monday, our production LDAP directory, so there
unfortunately is no room for "well, turn up debugging, and let's see what
happens."  In the meantime, we sit and watch the load average on the box
rise to 31+ everytime someone sends a mass email... :)

Thanks,
  John

--
John Madden