RE: root DSE attributes

You don't.

> slapd.conf says:
> rootdn: dc=cmu,dc=edu
>
> What should the modify LDIF say:
>
> dn:
> supportedSASLMechanisms: KERBEROS_V4
>
> or what?   I am getting either the modify not supported error message
> if the dn: line is blank, or if I put the rootdn as the dn: line in the
> LDIF I get a message saying the supportedSASLMechanisms attr can only
> go in the root DSE.

There are no user-modifiable attributes in the root DSE. They are all
operational attributes, generated by the server. In particular, with
"supportedSASLMachanisms" slapd simply obtains a list of mech names from
the SASL library. If the SASL library doesn't support "KERBEROS_V4" then
nothing you can do from an LDAP client is going to magically enable it.

  -- Howard Chu