absolute newbie -- how do I connect with rootdn

Hi,
    I followed the steps in the Quick Start Guide, everything went fine, I started the server and now I want to connect and edit entries in the directory. I got a LDAP browser/editor from http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~gawor/ldap/download.html it looks pretty cool except I don't know how to connect with the rootdn account. At the end of the message I put an excerpt from my slapd.conf file.
I tried connecting with User DN as cn=Manager and password as secret, connection failed. Then I used slappasswd to generate some encrypted pass I think, I gave it secret and got               {SSHA}Gl6SqOGg2lNoTBAJkvm7M+9CToE26A2z  I put it in slapd.conf instead of secret and tried to connect with cn=Manager and secret but it still didn't work.
Then I tried /usr/local/bin/ldappasswd, it gave me this very suggestive err message "ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such attribute". After an hour of searching I found that I should either use -x or sasl. I used -x and I got "Result: Strong authentication required (8)
Additional info: only authenicated users may change passwords". I haven't tried yet to install "sasl" (whatever that may be), but it's sure to give me more headaches if I try.
So my question is what's the simplest way to give this Manager a password and connect with it (no matter the security issues for now, I'm just trying to add some entries with the browser).
If you have any hint, suggestion, lecture for me, please let me know.

Thank you for your time,

lucian

database        ldbm
suffix          "dc=softgate.ro,dc=ro"
#suffix         "o=My Organization Name,c=US"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=softgate.ro,dc=ro"
#rootdn         "cn=Manager,o=My Organization Name,c=US"
# Cleartext passwords, especially for the rootdn, should
# be avoid.  See slappasswd(8) and slapd.conf(5) for details.
# Use of strong authentication encouraged.
rootpw          secret
# The database directory MUST exist prior to running slapd AND
# should only be accessible by the slapd/tools. Mode 700 recommended.
directory       /usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm
# Indices to maintain
index   objectClass     eq