Re: getting very frustrated with lack of success

On 18 Mar 2002, Brandon Young wrote:

Agree.

I had the same problems and I an not a complete stranger to
Unix/Linux.

There should be a collective effort to make documenting
OpenLDAP for the end users. It is a great technology and it is needed by
the open source community.

> Hello all.
>
> I have been silently suffering through what has turned into an ordeal
> with trying to set up a simply configured, very basic ldap server.  I
> have followed the directions in the HOWTO, the Quickstart Guide, and a
> quasi-HOWTO to this mailing list (From: "Simon
> Ritchie"<Simon.Ritchie@net.ntl.com>, Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 16:00:53
> +0100) paying particular attention to the provided slapd.conf configs on
> several different occasions.  In fact, I am copying the config files
> EXACTLY from these documents.  Each time, I am running into the same
> problem: "ldap_add: Operations error".  This leads me to believe that
> either my ldap install/database is broken, or I'm asking the ldap server
> to do something the wrong way (my ldif file is syntactically incorrect,
> or my ldapadd command is syntactically wrong, or something).
>
> It's very frustrating.  I have searched through the mailing list
> archives, but found nothing that has helped me get around the issue.
> Nothing in the documents I have read helps either.  I have never found
> any sort of troubleshooting guide, either.  So ...
>
> Here are the details of my setup:  RedHat 7.2, installed openldap from
> RPM packages (version 2.0.22 from open-it.org).  I have attached my
> slapd.conf and init.ldif.
>

> Here's the output I get when I run ldapadd:
>
> [root@redhat openldap]# /etc/init.d/ldap start
> Starting slapd:                                            [  OK  ]
> [root@redhat openldap]# ldapadd -x -D "cn=noris,o=home,c=sys" -f
> init.ldif -W
> Enter LDAP Password:
> adding new entry "o=home, c=sys"
> ldap_add: Operations error
>
> ldif_record() = 1
>

> Does anything immediately jump out at anyone as being wrong?  I'm lost,
> and very frustrated.  Is it possible that I have munged my database with
> so much messing around?  I keep seeing references to destroying the
> database and starting over with a fresh new database, but ... how do I
> do that?  What files do I delete?  Is there a command I need to run?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Ivan Teliatnikov,
F05 David Edgeworth Building,
Department of Geology and Geophysics,