Re: speeding up searches (index?)

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 07:38:34AM -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
> >I've run slapindex after every change to these.
>
> While slapd was stopped?

For sure. The instructions for slapindex warn about not
running it while slapd is running. I made sure to stop
slapd, make my changes to slapd.conf, slapindex then
start slapd again.

Previously I wasn't indexing associatedDomain at all. When
I added an eq index things improved about 50%.

> I note that timing a ldapsearch(1) can be misleading.
> The time includes that API initialization, DNS lookup,
> LDAP Bind, the LDAP search operation, and the LDAP
> Unbind operation.  Are you sure it's the search
> operation which is taking the majority of the time?

I know that it's not a perfect test, but the same test, on
a filter that I know returns quickly, shows times of 0.02
for Real. That search has the same DNS/API/Bind overhead.
The only difference is the work the LDAP server must do.

And while monitoring the postfix process I see almost exactly
the same times in the logs (syslog isn't very accurate, but
it appears to be about 7 seconds).

My first idea was to upgrade to 2.0.21 and switch to
Berkley DB. Is this a good idea?

--
Joshua Warchol
UNIX Systems Administrator