Re: Problem retrieving binary

At 09:35 AM 2002-01-18, Pablo Victory wrote:
>I'm trying to retrive an attribute defined as binary.

What do you mean by "binary"?  Do you mean that the attribute
type is defined to have syntax "binary" [RFC 2252]?  Do you
mean that the attribute type is defined to have some complex
ASN.1 data type, e.g., certificate, requiring use of ";binary"
transfer [RFC2251]?   Do you mean the attribute holds values
which may be an any string of binary bits, e.g. a bitString?
Do you mean the attribute holds values which may be an any
string of octets, e.g. an octetString?  Or what?

> I'm using openldap and I am accesing it through JNDI from a Java program. Though the storage operation seems to be working fine, when I retrieve the attribute I get back a String and not a Byte array.

That sounds like an application or API issue to me.  That is,
the application language data type is used to hold a value,
regardless of its LDAP syntax and transfer mode used, is an
application/API issue.

> I am not shure that the store worked as it should (I mean that a binary was actually stored and not a String). I've checked past posts and there seems to be a problem with binary attributes in OpenLDAP. How can I store and retrieve binaries? What am I missing?

Using JNDI, I have no idea.  I don't use JNDI (nor Java for that
matter).

Kurt