"file" directive deprecated?

Thanks Howard Chu for the fix to my previous question.  I've installed the
latest release of init.c which works, but now slapd says:

/usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf: line 105: ignoring "file" option (not
supported on this platform)

On investigation, the "file" option relies on the C function "setpwfile",
which according to
http://new.omc.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=3&topic=setpwfile has been
deprecated since at least 1994.  It's certainly not available on my Solaris
7 or a recent Linux.

Looks as if this option will require more than a little work to implement!
No, I can't offer to do it :-(  ... but I do appreciate those who can :-)

--
Norman Paterson, University of St Andrews
http://www.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~norman/