Re: problem with replication

I was using GQ when I noticed the problem.

Luzian Scherrer wrote:

I have two ldap servers. 1 master and 1 slave. If I make an update to the master, the master updates the slave fine. But if I send an update to the slave, the slave is not referring the master.

I have the same problem (OpenLDAP 2.0.19):

- master.domain.ch slapd.conf:
  replica         host=slave.domain.ch
                  binddn="cn=Manager,dc=domain,dc=ch"
                  bindmethod=simple credentials=secret
  replogfile      /data/openldap/var/openldap-slurp/replog.slave

- slave.domain.ch slapd.conf:
  updatedn        "cn=Manager,dc=domain,dc=ch"
  updateref       ldap://master.domain.ch

After sending an update to the slave, I see in the master's output
(loglevel 1) of slapd:

| do_bind: v3 bind: "uid=85689...[dn on slave]" to "uid=85689...[dn on master, the same as on slave]"
| send_ldap_result: conn=0 op=0 p=3
| send_ldap_response: msgid=1 tag=97 err=0
| ber_flush: 14 bytes to sd 9
| connection_get(9): got connid=0
| connection_read(9): checking for input on id=0
| ber_get_next
| ber_get_next: tag 0x30 len 34 contents:
| ber_get_next
| ber_get_next on fd 9 failed errno=11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)
| do_modify
| ber_scanf fmt ({a) ber:
| ber_scanf fmt ({i{a[V]}}) ber:
| do_modify: root dse!
| send_ldap_result: conn=0 op=1 p=3
| send_ldap_response: msgid=2 tag=103 err=53
| ber_flush: 52 bytes to sd 9

And that's it. Nothing more happens, no change is made. When updating
directly on the master with the very same user, things work.

Is your LDAP client able to follow LDAP referrals?

What would be the best way to just check whether OpenLDAP is sending the correct referral? Can you recommend an LDAP client or anything else that it enough for debugging and does follow or display referrals?

Thanks,
-Luzian

-- Terry Davis Systems Administrator BirdDog Solutions, Inc. (402) 829-6059 www.birddog.com