Assertion failed -- possible to get this from a query?

Hello everyone,

Quite suddenly this evening my slapd (2.0.18) aborted, and when I restarted it, it would run for between 1 second and about 20 seconds before aborting again. In debug mode, I see this error:

schema_init.c:622: failed assertion `!ldap_utf8_isspace( LDAP_UTF8_PREV(q) )'

And by watching the query log, I noticed that the last query before it dies (as best I can tell, considering how many queries per second are executed), is always from one particular mail server. What I'm asking is this -- can a malformed query cause the above error to occur? The optimistic part of my personality insists that slapd should not be crashable with a malformed query. The realistic side of my personality isn't so sure ;-).

If anyone can shed some light on what I'm seeing, and on whether or not it could be do to a messed up query, I'd appreciate it. Also, if anyone here is bright enough to tell me what's actually failing (I read the source code a bit, but I wasn't able to come up with a concrete answer) when this error occurs, that would be great to. I'll be taking that particular question to the development list, I think.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
David Stults