updating a tree from a full dataset

Hello,

Please excuse me if this question is off-topic for this list, but
I'll give it a try:

I have a program which reads a bunch of router configs, extracts a
lot of information and writes it to a file database every hour. To
make the world a better place to live, I'd like to store this infor-
mation in an LDAP directory instead. However, this makes the current
update-everything approach very inefficient (the file database has
about 1500 entries).

The approach which first comes to mind is to retrieve the entire
branch from LDAP, compare this to the data recently extracted from
the router configs and write only changed entries back to LDAP.

Are there any better approaches to this? How does it scale if every
entry has about 20 attributes?

All help greatly appreciated!

--
Bjørn Nordbø  -  Developer / IP Net NMS  -  Nextra Norway