Application dumping core

I have an application on a Solaris  7 box authenticating against OpenLdap
via PAM that is core dumping whenever the LDAP server is down.  In the
application logs say this:

options.c:95: failed assertion `LDAP_VALID( ld )'

I am thinking that it needs to be recompiled with NDEBUG option so there are
no assertions but am a little over my head here.  We are using the pam
module from padl.org.  Would using a different module help (and if so which
one?) or do we just need to recompile, or am I way off?  Thanks for any
help!

Nikko