Authoriztion y OpenLDAP 2.0.14-1

Hello, I'm trying to use OpenLDAP and pam_ldap to do user
authentication, but I'm running into a problem and maybe somebody here
can explain to me what's going on and what to do to solve it.

slapd authenticates via sasl, sasl is expecting something like a
username, for example, testuser; the problem here is that pam_ldap is
trying to bind as uid=testuser,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com and
failing, so what I think is happening is that slapd is asking sasl to
authenticate this user by giving it it's dn, but sasl is having
trouble finding this user in the sasldb because it's not getting what
it shuld, so, how can I configure this setup so that everything works
the way it should or (since I'm using TLS anyway) how can I instruct
slapd so that it uses simple authentication instead of the SASL based
one.

thanks in advance

jorge santos