How get statistics about what is being looked up?

Dear team,

I am urgently trying to solve my 99.9% CPU usage problem, (which is
rapidly destroying my reputation!  Picture laboratories full of
students, unable to get started on their lab work for ten minutes).

However, I do not understand how to obtain statistics about what is
being looked up in the server.  Can anyone please give me some
pointers?  Are there any external tools?

I will now try increasing the logging level; I suspect that this may add
further to the CPU load, but perhaps I can find out what indexes I need
to add (if indeed lack of indexes is the problem).

--
Nick Urbanik   RHCE                                  nicku@vtc.edu.hk
Dept. of Information & Communications Technology