Re: assertion fails on modify

> Running v2.0.14, using Net::LDAP to modify a dn, I get the following
> everytime:
>
> schema_check.c:45: failed assertion `a->a_vals[0] != NULL'
>
> which causes slapd to exit.  Obviously not an acceptable solution -
> what do I do?
>
> It's odd, because I've been able to modify records before using the
> same application.  The only thing that's changed that I know of is the
> syslog'ing I've been discussing yesterday and earlier today.

Sorry to reply to my own message, but I left out an important component of
of it: the problem here is that slapd's doing some schema checking, as
it should, but it's using assert() instead of a more logical means of saying
"look, you can't leave stuff blank".  Schema checking is all nice and
lovely, but if it's going to cause stupendously ridiculous LDAP outages,
it's even less fruitful than not doing any checking at all.

So do we rack this one up as a bug, or does anyone have a better explanation
of why slapd exits here?

John

--
John Madden