[no subject]

I have seen quite a lot of messages like this:

Hi

We are currently migrating from Netscape Directory Server v4.11 to OpenLDAP
2.0. So far so good, but we have run into a problem using Microsoft ADSI 2.5
to access OpenLDAP.

The problem is: Using the Microsoft ADSI we can only retrieve attributes
that were defined in the core schema. When we try to retrieve attributes
which are not part of the core schema (e.g. the uidNumber in the nis.schema)
we get the following error: ADSTYPE_PROV_SPECIFIC. Which we interpret as
Microsoft does not recognize the syntax definition of the attribute? It also
seems as if the ADSI does not recognize any of the additional object classes
(probably the root problem).

We define our own additional schema, which we have included in the
slapd.conf file as follows

schemacheck     on
include         /usr/openldap/current/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /usr/openldap/current/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include
/usr/openldap/current/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /usr/openldap/current/etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
include
/usr/openldap/current/etc/openldap/schema/our_own_ldap.schema

We can access both the core and the other schema's objects/attributes via
other programming languages e.g. Perl and C++.

The Microsoft ADSI code works against the Netscape Directory Server.

Any ideas/similar problems/helpful suggestions? I have perused the OpenLDAP
Administrator's Guide and the Mailing Lists Archives but after several
attempts have not been able to resolve this issue.

Seems that only the openLDAP/ADSI combination is a hard case.

Why is that?

John