How readonly works exactly ???

Hi,

I'm using OpenLDAP 1.2.13 on Debian Linux 2.2. as a main user database for ISP.
I want to put my database "readonly" temporary to introduce a replica server into the system. I put the following line:

readonly    on

in the slapd.conf file, but it seems to me, when I connect with root, I still can write in the database. Is it normal, or there is another procedure to put the database "readonly". The "readonly" flag works only if you connect to the database with other user then "root" ?

I apreciate your help.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

dipl. ing. Tibor Borzák