Replication problem

I am running OpenLDAP 2.0.11 on RedHat 7.1 and I am trying to get replication
working from one master to a single replica. I have added a replication entry to
the master's slapd.conf which looks like this:
<snip>
replogfile      /var/lib/ldap/slapd.replog
replica host=slavehost.somedomain.com:389
        binddn="cn=root,dc=somedomain,dc=com"
        bindmethod=simple
        credentials=secretpassword
<snip>

In the replica's slapd.conf file I have an updatedn entry like so:
<snip>
updatedn        "cn=root,dc=somedomain,dc=com"
<snip>

When I start the master server, slurpd starts up as expected. When I alter an
entry on the master, the slapd.replog file is written with the change. Slurpd
then copies this change to replica/slurpd.replog and deletes the entry from
slapd.replog.
This is where it stops. The change is never sent to the slave??
if I run slurpd in debug mode, I see no messages to indicate any error.
I see no connection to the replica from the master in the replica's log file.
If I stop the running slurpd and do a oneshot run of slurpd over the
replica/slurpd.replog file, it successfully sends the changes to the replica.

Any ideas what might be preventing slurpd from sending the changes through to
the replica automatically?
How long should I have to wait before the changes are sent?

Thanks
Roland