simple vs sasl

I recompiled openldap after installing the sasl libraries.  Now when I
do an ldapadd, it fails with "ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such
object" unless I force it to do simple authentication with -x.  I didn't
see any method of defaulting to simple over sasl in the slapd.conf
manpage other than disabling sasl.  Is there a method of setting
precedence?  (I don't think this is interfacing with nsswitch yet, but
correct me if I'm wrong.)

I have to do the same force to simple authentication with ldappasswd as
well.  Comments, referrals to URL's, chapters in "Understanding
and Deploying LDAP Directory Services", etc, all are welcome.
--
Blue skies...		Todd
| Get a bigger hammer!   |  I vowed revenge on the soul           |