Re: Groups Explanation

>Could anyone in fifty words or less (actually take as many words as you
>need) explain the difference between a posixGroup, groupOfNames, and
>groupOfUniqueNames? I'm familiar with Novell's NDS and MS Active
>Directory's  implementation of groups. That's what I want to emulate with
>OpenLDAP. In other words, I want to add objects the the OpenLDAP directory
>(whether it be servers, applications, printers, other users, etc..) and
>assign permissions to the groups rather than individual users. Do I have a
>misconception of what OpenLDAP can do? Is this possible to do in OpenLDAP?
>I want to scrap NDS/Active Directory and replace it with OpenLDAP as my
>metadirectory. Is this possible?
>BTW - I'm using OpenLDAP 2.0.7 on a RH 7.0 server

What is your client OS?  If you are using PAM/NSS you can create posixGroup
objects that are just like having an entry in /etc/group.  If you have a Samba
PDC (2.2.x) to NT boxes it can integrate NT<->UNIX groups (UNIX using NSS to get
groups from OpenLDAP).

Systems and Network Administrator
Morrison Industries
1825 Monroe Ave NW.