initial woes - populating directory

Hi all

I have installed and configured the openldap 1.2.11 on Solaris 7.
I can start the daemon successfully.
I have following entry in my slapd.conf:
suffix          "o=my org, c=US"
directory       /usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm
-----------
I do see a bunch of files like cn.dbb, dn.dbb. created in the above directory.

I also added the initial entries for the organization as :
dn: c=US
objectClass: top
cn: common name for c=US

dn: o=my org, c=US
objectClass: top
cn: common name for o=my org, c=US
---------------
I can do an ldapsearch like : ldapsearch -b 'o=my org, c=US' 'objectclass=*'
which returns:
o=my org, c=US
objectclass=organization
-------------------------
Now I am trying to add entries like:

dn: cn=John Doe ,o=my org, c=US
cn: cn=John Doe
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: rfc822MailGroup
sn: sn=John Doe
mail: John.Doe@myorg.com
homephone: 000-000-000
mobile: 999-999-9999
extension: *
fax:

I keep getting error :ldap_add no such object.
I also tried removing all the other entries except the dn and cn and
objectclass. No luck
I can't seem to understand where the problem lies.
I tried with ldapadd -f <file name> -D "my root dn entry"
I also tried ldif2ldbm -i < file name> .
This gives errors like :couldn't open dn.dbb, objectclass.dbb etc.

I have done all the permutations/combinations of this command. Gone thr' the
mailing list archives.
Some messages did mention, that "Top level hierarchy may not be present"
But I thought I do have that.
May be I am doing something terribly wrong.

Please help!
Thank You

ameet