Storing Docroots in LDAP-DB / OpenLDAP Read Performance

Hi,

we are planning on using OpenLDAP for storing Docroot-Entries (among other
things) for Apache (using an external url-rewriting engine).

Do you guys think that doing one ldap-query per http-query will severly
reduce the performance of a webslave ? (LDAP-Server running on the same
machine)

Did anyone of you test the OpenLDAP Query-Performance using the LDBM Backend
on a small(PIII 500/256MB RAM or something) server system ?

It would be nice if someone could point me into the right direction ("could
work" or "forget about it") I will have to do some benchmarking myself
before pushing this to production but maybe I can save the time if this is a
totally idiotic idea :)

Greetings,

Jochen