Re: password backend

Try suffix o=edu

Look at trace to see exactly what it is doing, but when I looked for a shell backend, the password came in something like abcd user@nwu.edu.  The suffix is literally the last characters in the input line.

At 02:06 PM 5/30/00 -0400, Andrew Miles wrote:
>Hello,
>

>I'm starting the process of setting up LDAP, and would like to use
>the password backend.  However, I'm finding that with the slapd.conf
>specifying a password backend, as of:
>
>database   passwd
>suffix o=passwd
>
>in the slapd.conf file, the slapd process won't start.   If I remove
>the password and use the default lbdm backend instead, the process
>starts just fine.
>
>I read that the default for the LDAP install includes support for all
>three backends;  shell, ldbm, and passwd.  Is this correct? As I
>didn't specify anything one way or the other during the configuration.
>
>Could it be that something is wrong with the passwd file itself?  We
>are using shadow passwords on a Linux machine (Mandrake), but other
>than that, it seems like a normal /etc/passwd file.
>
>If anyone has any ideas as to how to get this passwd backend working
>that would be great!
>

>Also, I haven't learned the in's and out's of setting up a ldbm
>database yet, is there any examples of a basic setup out there,
>including a persons name, phone# and email?   The man pages and Quick
>Start Guide aren't so clear.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Andrew
>--
>

>- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>Andrew Miles
>Systems Administrator
>In2/TMP Worldwide
>
>646.613.2027
>646.613.0648 fax
>800.776.0376 pager
>
>andrew@in2.com
>8007760376@pagemci.com

Albert Steiner  Coordinator Distributed Computing
Technology Support Services
N O R T H W E S T E R N   U N I V E R S I T Y
1603 Orrington Suite #1400, Evanston, IL 60201-5064
a-steiner@northwestern.edu  Phone 847-491-4056 FAX 847-467-7732