First level entries in the ldap database

Hi all,

First comes the current situation, and then the question.

SITUATION:

I originally built my LDAP database on UMich 3.3, and about 6 months ago I
migrated to OpenLDAP 1.2.8. Everything worked ok, except for searches at the
base of the tree, i.e. ldapsearch c=* gives no results. I completely ignored
this for the past 6 months, until yesterday when I decided to try to get to
the bottom of it. I killed the daemon, cleared the database (ldif2ldbm -i
empty-file), turned schemacheck on and restarted the daemon in debug mode
(openldap -d 255).

I built the file entry.ldif with the following entry:

dn:c=cl
objectclass:top
objectclass:country
c:cl

When I tried to add this entry with ldapadd -f entry.ldif, ldapadd failed
with the message "ldap_add: No such object". Checking the output from the
daemon, I found the message "parent does not exist". I then tried the
following file:

dn:world
objectclas:top

dn:c=cl,world
objectclass:top
objectclass:country
c:cl

This works, but I have the dummy entry world here. If I do ldapsearch c=* I
get the entry or chile. If I do ldapsearch -s one c=*, of course it returns
nothing because the base entry is world. Unfortunately this is the search
the web500gw does.

QUESTION:

How do I make the first level entries in the database be the country list?

    __ _   Debian GNU User
   / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __   Simon Martin
  / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /   Project Manager
 \____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\   mailto: smartin@isys.cl

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.