From: Kurt D. Zeilenga [mailto:Kurt@OpenLDAP.org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2000 11:59 AM
To: Vinod Nair
Cc: 'openldap-software@openldap.org'; Vinod Nair
Subject: Re: tuning searches

At 10:16 AM 5/15/00 -0500, Vinod Nair wrote:
>In a compound search, such as
>    (&(attr1=value1)(attr2=value2)(attr3=value3))
>
>is the order of evaluation left-to-right ?

In OpenLDAP, yes.

>I'm assuming the first _expression_ prunes the search
>space for the 2nd, and so forth. In that case, it
>would make sense to place the "most restrictive"
>_expression_ up front (and have it indexed).

Basically, yes.

>Also, how is the "search base" used to prune the search ?

Depends upon the version of OpenLDAP and configuration.
In some versions, DN sub index was enabled by default.  However,
I believe it is off in current versions.

>Is this used to get an appropriate "range" from the underlying btree ?

No. back-ldbm treates the underlying datastore as a simple
key/value system.  It may or may not be a btree.

>Or is the base DN being used in some other way to prune the search space ?

If a substr DN index is available, it is used.