some questions

Title: some questions

I couldn't any good answers to these in the mailing lists, so here goes:

1. Where can I find some details on the implementation of indexes ? Is this
    a backend thing, or does OpenLDAP actually do something with these ?
    If I have an indexed attribute that is used in most of my objectclasses,
    what are the performance implications ?

2. How do auxiliary classes actually work ? Is the auxiliary class data actually
    stored contiguously with the original class data on disk, or is some pointer
    to the aux class data stored (and a performance penalty) ? So, are
    auxiliary classes still the best way to come up with an "extensible" schema
    definition ?

All of this wrt to OpenLDAP 1.2.*

Thanks, Vinod.