Re: a question on ldap history

Norbert Klasen wrote:

> Hi,
> in a interview for a TechVision column Tim Howes said that "LDAPv1 never
> was an RFC". Now in all publications I've read so far LDAPv2 is
> associated with RFC 1777. But then where should one put RFC 1487?

RFC 1487 is a Proposed Standard that describes LDAPv2.
RFC 1777 is a Draft Standard that obsoletes 1487 (and 1777 also
describes LDAPv2).

>From section 4.1 of 1487:

   - version: A version number indicating the version of the protocol to
     be used in this protocol session.  This document describes version
     2 of the LDAP protocol.  Note that there is no version negotiation,
     and the client should just set this parameter to the version it
     desires.

--
Mark Smith
Directory Product Development / iPlanet E-Commerce Solutions