Re: LDAP integeration with NIS,Novell and Lotus Notes

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that with UNIX (NIS) and definitely
with some authentication schemes in Linux, you can authenticate against an
LDAP database.  Since the Lotus Notes user account information can be
accessed by LDAP clients (with the correct certs) it may be possible to
devise a scheme to authenticate against the Lotus Notes server (if you can
find a way to securely store the user's password in there somewhere, this is
easy in Domino 5.0 and more difficult in 4.x).  I've heard of ways to make
all Linux PAM (Samba, NIS, and local) logins happen against an LDAP
Directory.  My suggestion would be to pursue this first.  Start at
http://www.samba-tng.org mailing lists or http://www.samba.org mailing list
named SAMBA-NTDOM.  This isn't exactly what you want, but it's a step in the
right directrion from people who do this.

After you have NIS and Notes integrated, it would be easy to set up a cron
job or Domino Agent to create the Netware account (I'm assuming you are
using a TCP/IP aware version of Netware).

Good Luck and I'd personally be interested in how this goes (especially
using Notes as your directory).

Chris Tooley

P.S.  Another option is looking into Domino being NDS (eDirectory) aware.